CHLP Attends HIV Is Not A Crime National Training Conference (2016)
CHLP recently attended the HIV is Not a Crime II (HINAC 2016) Conference in Huntsville, Alabama. The conference brought together activists from across the country for a national training session on HIV criminalization and related topics. Several CHLP staff members attended to speak at sessions, discussing CHLP resources at our info table and recruiting new faces to join or start a PJP state group.
Catherine Hanssens spoke on a panel on the "Role of Research in HIV Criminal Law Modernization: Who's Doing What and How Can You Use it in Your Advocacy." And she and Senior Community Outreach Specialist Lauren Fanning also spoke at a breakout session on "Campaign Planning, Strategy and Messaging: Laying Foundations and Dodging Landmines in HIV Criminalization Reform." While at the conference, CHLP staff re-connected with partner advocates from around the country and beyond, and made new connections and plans with those working to end HIV criminalization.
Deputy Director Mayo Schrieber observed, "One great part of HINAC was meeting local advocates, including those involved or considering involvement in PJP state advocacy groups, such as Bryan Jones and Steve Arrington from Ohio; Brady Morris Angela Whitehead and Noah Raper from Tennessee and LaTrischa Miles from Missouri. I was fortunate to join the TN PJP group during the state breakout session; they are well organized and doing a fantastic job."
- Rosa Rivera, an advocate from Puerto Rico, gave CHLP's Catherine Hanssens her take on the week-long conference. (In Spanish, see English transcript link below.)
- Theresa Sullivan, Positive Women's Network - Philadelphia, talks sbout why she attended and her work at home.
- Bill McColl, AIDS United, talks about what moved him the most at the conference.
- Eric Mykhalovskiy, York University, Toronto, and Ryan Peck, HIV & AIDS Legal Clinic Ontario, talk about the Canadian experience at the conference.
- Waheeda Shabazz-El, Positive Women's Network, Philadelphia, on what she got from the conference.